New Beginnings....


Let your eyes look directly ahead and let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you.  Watch the path of your feet, and all your ways will be established.  Do not turn to the right or the left; Turn your foot from evil. - Proverbs 4:25-27

This is a season of "new beginnings" in the life of the Vaughan family.  New beginnings usually include "big things."  On Thursday of this week, I have the honor to speak before a beautiful group of women at my church.  In true Momma Vaughan "craziness," I have already started having silly dreams about this glorious evening.  One particular dream detailed the outfits of everyone in attendance.  Everybody chose to wear a pastel suit, except for me.  I stood to speak before a sea of spring-colored, Easter egg looking ladies.  I didn't get the wardrobe message, and I wore dark clothes from head to toe!  This dream temporarily caused me to lose focus.

February 25th is official "demo day" at our house as we repurpose our upstairs space.  I never thought of our family as a group of "hillbilly hoarders"; however, cleaning out the place we've called home since 2005 has made me reconsider this.  In the midst of this tedious task, I've managed to lose my focus a time or two. Looking at old pictures and old hairstyles is more fun than rearranging a closet!

I am leading a high school Bible study at our church on Wednesday nights.  Momma Vaughan spent 12 years teaching small people in elementary grades K-5.  Easing into this role has felt challenging at times.  It is a necessity to stay very focused on the message being taught each week. High school aged people really do prefer minimal distractions!

Through seasons of "new beginnings," it is so easy for you and me to lose our focus.  It is easy to shift our gaze away from our Almighty Father.  Yet, His Holy word commands us to "let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you."  Praise God for this command.  THIS simple act is where we find Him.

My son Landon just competed in his first high school track meet.  The 3 boys from his school, all competing in the same event, were overjoyed with their results.  After the race, they shared the simple reason for their successes:  They never shifted their gazes away from the runner directly in front of them.  Oh what celebrations fill the heavens when we strive to never shift our gaze away from Him!

"New Beginnings" remain woven into our present season at First United Methodist Church of Grapevine.  A changing staff and the restructuring of daily happenings causes people to feel anxious/overwhelmed.  Maintaining focus is hard when uncertainty surrounds us.  In the days ahead, I pray, as a church body, we will choose to fix our eyes on one specific new beginning:  a new steeple.  A new steeple gently encourages us to shift our gaze and look up.  In that moment of looking up, we remember He has carried our church through many challenging seasons.  He will carry us through this season, too.  Amen

Comments

Popular Posts