While We're Hiding....

I can endure all these things through the power of the one who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

I have mentioned, many times before, that I don't like hiding.  When I was young and played the game of "hide and seek," I always cheated as the "seeker."  I covered my eyes while standing next to that tree trunk and usually just counted to five.  I simply couldn't wait to see all my friends again.  I feel as if we've been playing this game for five full weeks, and hiding seems to be getting harder.  I am ready to stand in the middle of my street and yell, "Come out, come out wherever you are!!!"  Nevertheless, beautiful things are happening as we hide.

We are connecting.  Our churches have found creative ways for us to worship on-line.  Our Sunday school classes, Bible study groups, friends and families have discovered new ways to stay in touch.  These are the days of Facetime, Zoom and actual "land line" phone calls.  Who knew?!?  I was on my "land line" recently and heard a "break through beep."  Thanks to my gradual decrease in brain cells over these past few weeks, I initially had no idea what that noise meant! Connecting with others comforts our hearts and souls during this difficult season.

We are writing.  I have been overwhelmed by the unique importance of written communication.  On a recent run through a park now closed to all vehicular traffic, my son noticed these words written in chalk: "You Got This."  As he approached the uphill bridge, a little dose of encouragement mattered. During one of our family's long drives, we passed a sign on display along a residential street.  The sign read, "Stay strong.  Make them wonder why you are still smiling."  An October tornado in Dallas county destroyed many of the homes in this residential area.  These families needed encouragement then, and their written messages provide written hope to all of us now.  The Walgreen's nearest our house proudly displayed these words on their marquee:  "Heroes work here."  Written words have the power to inspire us and give us hope.

We are uniting.  Our communities seems more important than ever.  A restaurant near us proudly advertises they are open by displaying this message in their window:  "Doing whatever it takes to serve the Grapevine community."  We have a greater appreciation for our county and state governments as they make crucial decisions to help keep us safe.  On Easter Sunday, the world heard Andrea Bocelli say these words. "We will hug this wounded Earth's pulsing heart."  We also listened to him sing the beautiful hymn Amazing Grace before millions of viewers around the globe who desperately needed this beautiful reminder of God's faithfulness and love.  In that moment, the wide, expansive world felt small, fragile and united.

We are trying.  All of us are trying to make sense of a season in our lives that makes no sense.  We are grieving, we are adapting and we are hoping.  We are anxiously awaiting that moment when we no longer feel hidden.  I recently told my Papaw, "I cannot wait until we can stop hiding."  With excitement in his voice, Papaw said these words, "I can't either because I'm going to find you."

Today, and in the days ahead, keep connecting, keep writing, keep uniting and keep trying.  We are ALL doing the best we can.  I can't wait to find you, hug you and gently remind you … your best was AND is simply AMAZING.  You CAN endure ALL things.  He WILL sustain you.  Be blessed.

Comments

Popular Posts