When Life Loses Rhythm.....


You will have great joy and gladness. - Luke 1:14

Just a few days ago, I passed a window in a shopping area.  The window advertised a Halloween store that would be opening soon.  The truth of the matter is I feel like I have been dressed in my Halloween costume most of the summer.  The only articles of clothing that have matched, with great certainty, are my socks.  I only wear those on REALLY special occasions, like to physical therapy.

I continue to pause in complete amazement at all the wonderful things many of you continue to accomplish.  Your blankets, scarves, puzzles and fancy meals are fabulous.  While you have been crafting and cooking, I've been doing...well..other things.

  • Two days in a row, I convinced myself I was going blind while standing in the shower.  I literally couldn't see anything.  One will have this problem if he/she chooses to wear reading glasses while showering.
  • I walked through the grocery store completely dismayed why so many people were staring at me in the produce section, on the cereal aisle and by the milk.  When you wear sunglasses AND your mask through the entire store, people will stop and stare.
  • I'm finding it much more challenging to follow instructions.  In front of my eye doctor's office is a blue line.  The sign on the door instructs you to wait behind the blue line until someone inside sees you.  If you have waited too long, step over the blue line, knock quickly and resume your place behind the blue line.  How long is too long to wait?  Should you stand there forever, or should you risk knocking only to have someone open the door and scream, "Get baaaack!"
  • Everywhere I go, there are shields and masks.  This is a good thing; however, for Momma Vaughan, this is also a hilarious thing.  I completely "took out" the shield at the nail salon...the one separating my nail tech from me.  I needed to itch my nose and couldn't get my hand through the Barbie doll-size hole quite fast enough.  I brought that shield down like an Olympic wrestler.  On a side note, do you know it's really hard to smell a nectarine through your mask?  Ask the people at Target who watched Momma Vaughan do THAT!
  • Then, let's talk about our brains and words.  I am convinced I am losing brain cells as demonstrated by my inabilities to remember words in a timely fashion.  I have quit counting the number of times I've been visiting with someone and forgotten the names of things like a banana, a song, a person or where I'm currently traveling in my car.
Before my sweet girl left for Auburn, the 3 of us gathered on the back patio.  Landon picked the last baby pepper from his garden and threw it at me.  We all laughed hysterically, and I forgot about that pepper until a few days later.  I sat on my back patio, picked that lil' pepper up off the ground and realized it was simply perfect.

Scattered amidst the confusion and chaos of our daily lives, I believe God provides us with opportunities to laugh and time/space to breathe.  Sometimes, He creates perfect moments that I believe are glimpses of heaven.  Laughing and loving others on my back patio this summer has felt perfect.  I am grateful for that perfect pepper and smile every time I think of the hand that launched it.  As you move forward in your week, pause, breathe and celebrate a perfect God.  Enjoy the unexpected moments wrapped in His perfect peace. Amen. 

Comments

Popular Posts