Uninvited Guests

I have a shed in my backyard. As sheds go, I think this one is adorable. It looks like a miniature version of my home, and it houses precious treasures that will not fit anywhere else. It also "houses" a handful of critters who have found cozy spaces underneath to call home. Depending on the season, foxes and possums are regular visitors to this space. Rocky always lets me know when a new guest has arrived, and he provides a housewarming welcome like no other. As a new guest you can expect to be watched, chased and bothered during all of your sleeping and waking hours. To Rocky, you are an uninvited guest. Don't bother hanging the "Do Not Disturb" sign at the entrance. It is inevitable. Rocky WILL disturb you from sun up to sun down. This morning, as I wrote in my journal, Rocky stood watching and waiting near the shed for any early morning signs of life. Bless his heart. Unbeknownst to him, I do believe Rocky's guests had taken advantage of an early checkout time. I wonder how much time, in my spiritual journey, I have spent watching and waiting for things to change. We all have circumstances that occupy our heads and our hearts day after day after day. They become uninvited guests. Those circumstances can consume, paralyze and prevent us from enjoying the present, glorious moments. This morning, Rocky missed a beautiful sunrise and God's majestic ways of ushering in a new day. He missed the precious hour when God simply provided a "pocket of peace" from those uninvited guests. Today, may we all pause, breathe, pray and step away from those critters ... even for just a moment. A pocket of peace is right around the corner. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts