Where Are You Planted?

I have never been a "gardener."  The words "green thumb" and Momma Vaughan have never been used in the same sentence, unless by accident.  That blessed moment happened during my teaching days when one of the precious kindergarteners excitedly handed me a green marker with no lid.  By the end of this encounter, I did have a green thumb!  I do remember when I taught 5th grade, I apologized to all of the plants I received on the last day of school.  I quietly whispered to them, one by one, that their fate in my hands was most surely inevitable.  

Then, in December of 2016, my husband brought home a special gift.  The beautiful plant, housed in an old-fashioned green basket, had a gorgeous delicate red ribbon woven through the center.  I felt differently about this plant.  One might say I felt determined to care for this one in a disciplined way.  So, I did.  I made sure to water my plant in a timely manner.  I learned very quickly that my plant needed a certain amount of light and moved it to the best place in our home.  I transferred my plant to a beautiful pot when it grew too large for the green basket.  Then, I trimmed the long ivy leaves when they extended too far and became too heavy.  On a recent trip to our home, my husband's grandmother stood back in complete amazement.  After all, Momma Vaughan had a live plant with healthy leaves on her countertop!  His grandmother gazed while looking at this plant and simply said, "I am so proud of you!  This plant looks amazing!"  We then proceeded to transfer long stalks of ivy to cute mason jars, the beginning preparations for even more plants!

We live in a complicated world.  We live very complicated lives.  Sometimes, tending to our own beautiful souls becomes our lowest priority.  Tending to my plant has taken time.  Tending to one's soul takes time.  Just like a plant's scheduled watering, we need scheduled soul-tending.  The beautiful process of spiritual refreshment provides us with the blessed opportunity to grow.  Sometimes, that growth takes us far out of our comfort zones.  Thank you, Jesus when our growth transfers us to new spaces and nurturing places.  In this beautiful process, our refreshed souls can lead others to seasons of spiritual transformation as well. 

In this season of your life, where are you planted?  Are you feeling refreshed by His living water?  Are you spending time daily in His radiant light?  All of us have a story.  Today, perhaps you need to turn the page.  Begin a new chapter.  Let God meet you right where you are.  Nourish your soul by moving closer to His light.  Be intentional about spending time with Him.  Give thanks for the beautiful ways you will grow and thrive in His radiant presence.

Comments

Popular Posts