A Time to Hide....

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge." - Psalm 91:4

Hidden - by United Pursuit
Now I am hidden
in the safety of your love.
I trust your heart and your intentions.
Trust you completely.
I'm listening intently.
You'll guide me through these many shadows.

In the state of Texas, our seasons change without warning.  We can go to bed with summer-like temperatures and wake up to winter weather.  No one reacts to these sudden changes more dramatically than my sweet dog Rocky.  His keen intelligence senses impending thunderstorms long before they actually arrive.  Yet, with the first clap of thunder, his process is the same.  He runs and hides under our bed.  In those moments or hours of wind/howling rain, Rocky gives himself permission to hide and feel protected until the storm passes.

When I was growing up, my sweet Mamaw had a warm, fuzzy sweater she wore often.  Towards the end of her life in 2004, I remember seeing Mamaw wearing this sweater regardless of the season.  I like to imagine Mamaw's sweater made her feel protected...no matter what.  On a recent, unexpected cold morning, I reached for that sweater in my closet.  For the first time, in many years, I began to wear it often.  That fuzzy sweater traveled with me on an airplane trip.  The pockets of that blue sweater protected my hands from the wind and cold at a recent football game.  Yet, as time has passed by, I have come to realize this sweater has served a greater purpose for me.

I am in the midst of a difficult season.  We all pass through those.  In this season, wrapping myself in this sweater has reminded me to wrap myself in God's love...allowing Him to protect and carry me through every moment of every day.  In this hidden space, under a warm garment, God gas given me hope and reminded me of an important truth.  Regardless of my circumstances, it is well with my soul.

It is my greatest belief that the valley seasons of our lives always invite us to draw closer to Him.  Psalm 46:1 reminds us, "God is a safe place to hide, ready to help when we need Him."  On this busy Monday, there are so many things clamoring for my attention. I'm not sure anyone has many clean pairs of underwear left. My phone continues to buzz, and I know we will need more groceries soon.  Yet, in this moment, I am giving myself permission to hide...wrapping myself in His love, His hope, His grace and His peace.  Today, give yourself a deserving dose of God's grace, and take time to hide from the worldly noise.  In that peaceful. hidden space, trust that He will strengthen you for the journey ahead.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts