What is Really Important?


"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." - Proverbs 31:25

I have always believed, with all my heart, that God must have a funny sense of humor.  I imagine sitting down with Him and revisiting the stories of when I caused a ski life to be shut down on a church youth group trip or when I received a pair of solid gold XXL panties my first year of teaching.  We would reminisce about the day my dad got stuck in an innertube...right smack dab in the middle of the Vaughan swimming pool.  We would laugh and laugh and laugh some more.

It is in this season of life I know God has a sense of humor.  He thought of how funny life might be if a momma went through "mean-o-pause" at the same time she raised teenagers and young adults.  He thought of how fun it might be to just have "hormonal collisions" that took everyone's breath away.  He also thought of how critical it would be to force this momma to pause and identify what is really important in her life.  For this pause, I am so grateful.

On one recent day, God reminded me that extra time under a cozy blanket, after a rough night's sleep, was more important than rushing to an early morning exercise class.  He gently encouraged me to celebrate an early morning trip to the donut shop for my runner who had a rare morning off from his daily grind.  He reassured me that a second cup of coffee, while talking with my college girl 13 hours away, was of greater significance than anything written in the "Friday to-do square" of my planner.  His gentle whisper inspired me to listen to that soul-strengthening worship song one more time.  This soul-strengthening moment mattered more than the loads of laundry waiting to be done.

Perhaps, of equal importance, He encouraged me to be still and be quiet...away from the 85 phone notifications highlighted in red/blue on my phone.  Thank you, Jesus for this season of transformation.  Thank you for every pause in this season...even the ones that have taken me far out of my comfort zone.  Every pause brings me closer to you.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts