Can We Talk?

John 1:5 NIV The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it.

I am in a season of "difficult conversations."  Early in June, I stood before a crowd of beautiful women and spoke about my personal journey to overcome post traumatic stress disorder and anxiety.  My journey unfolds daily, drawing me closer to God and empowering me to provide others with hope. This was a difficult conversation; however, the compassion and empathy of the women in the audience highlighted the importance of this discussion. Women everywhere continue to search for real, meaningful dialogue with open, honest people.

Throughout the summer, I have engaged in hard conversations with my 19 year-old daughter.  In today's society, we can find ourselves "scrolling for our self worth" through every social media app loaded on our phones. Instead, we must anchor our souls to an Almighty Father who sees us as beautifully, fearfully and wonderfully made.  In His eyes, we find our worth.  He completes us.  These have been difficult, emotional conversations; however, they are critical at this stage of her life.

Recently, I sat in the waiting area of a counselor's office and found myself focusing on the headlines of several different magazines.  The headlines included the phrases Life, Loss & Finding Love, Oprah Answers Everything and How I Made My Dreams Come True.  This overwhelming question flooded my soul.  What is wrong with our society?  We have entered an era of self-sufficiency when we're afraid to admit, "I can't do this on my own."  Sometimes, I truly believe we need to be comfortable telling those around us, "Today, I can't be superwoman.  So, I won't be wearing my cape.  Don't look for it on this day."

As I lingered in this waiting area, I began to imagine what it might be like for the world to read a different set of headlines in this magazine rack:  Life, Loss & Finding God, God Answers Everything and How God Shaped My Dreams .  These headlines could offer a glimmer of hope to a hurting society.  The words would help bring God's radiant light to the darkest places of our souls.  These words might generate hard discussions with those around us who simply need to feel God's love.  All of us have unique spiritual journeys.  A need to have difficult conversations with family, friends or coworkers unites us all.  Your path and my path will include tough talks.  Take that first step. Begin to speak.  Allow the Holy Spirit to guide you.  Trust in His provisions.  Praise God for this step of spiritual growth.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts