In the Stillness...




I must admit that I have never been very good at relaxing or being still.  Even in environments that promote relaxation, Momma Vaughan has oftentimes come up short.  Several years ago, I was about half-way through a massage when the fire alarms went off.  In less than two minutes, I found myself standing on the walkway of a busy shopping area dressed in a huge terrycloth robe and an odd looking pair of plastic spa shoes that were a few sizes too big.  Did I mention it was over 100 degrees outside?  I poured in sweat from head to toe.  There are no words for the expressions on people's faces as they walked by me.  My attire and "spa stuck-to-the face" hair was just too much.  About a month ago, I sat down in a familiar pedicure chair when it began to fold me up, accordion style before I even put my feet in the water.  No matter what buttons I pushed, the continuous movement of all chair parts continued.  The precious lady about to work on my feet didn't know what to do except scream out, "Oh my!  The chair is squishing you like a sandwich!"  Once again, there are no words for the odd looks of the people sitting around me.  While they relaxed, I engaged in an aerobics class that I didn't plan to attend.

The circumstances of this summer have forced me to find pockets of stillness.  As I type this, I am amazed at the treasures one uncovers when he/she chooses to be still.

In the stillness I have...
  • rediscovered places in my home that I consider sacred.  In my formal living room sits an old-fashioned lamp that once belonged to my precious grandparents.  I remember almost jumping for joy when my sweet cousin handed it to me.  The light of that lamp seems to warm my soul in the valley seasons of life.  Some of my deepest conversations with God have taken place in this space by the light of a beautiful heirloom.
  • engaged in activities that bring peace to my soul.  Writing, reading, floating and daydreaming have been daily rhythms of these summer months.
  • prayed more.  The act of being still allows one to truly clear his/her mind and engage in meaningful prayer.
  • concentrated on worrying less.  In the silence and stillness of each day, I have reflected on some of my favorite scriptures.  Meditating on these scriptures restores confidence and security to my soul.
  • noticed the world around me with greater clarity and thanksgiving.  This summer, I have been very mindful of listening to the birds, admiring the clouds, and watching summer thunderstorms in Texas as they roll in unexpectedly.  Pausing and observing places our hearts in a beautiful state of gratitude.
  • found God and the true majesty of His glory.  On a recent trip to our lakehouse, I sat at our patio table overlooking the lake.  A harsh, difficult topic was the focus of my writing.  Clouds lined the sky and darkness enveloped a clearly-defined portion of the water.  Gradually, the clouds seemed to break apart, and the warmth/radiance of the sun shone down on my entire face.  Isn't it overwhelming how His light always shines in the darkness?  In the stillness, I have found a peace that only He can provide.
In today's society, the patterns of our daily lives can be completely void of stillness.  I don't believe the pace and speed at which we travel was ever God's intent.  Take some time, every day, to be still.  Find a new sacred space in your home.  Engage in a daily activity that promotes peace.  Be mindful of praying more and worrying less.  Celebrate the beauty of God's creation all around us.  Experience the true joy of finding God in the stillness. Amen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts