Linger a Little Longer....


"Why hurry over beautiful things?  Why not linger and enjoy them?" - Clara Schumann

"Sometimes it's worth lingering on the journey for a while before getting to the destination." 
-Richelle Mead

When my daughter chose her college almost 2 years ago, part of my heart simply settled in the Deep South with her.  I fell in love with the people of Auburn, Alabama.  I fell in love with the culture of this community.  Of equal importance, I fell in love with something I couldn't quite identify until now.

It was over spring break that we had the blessed opportunity to visit Laurel, Mississippi.  The quaint site of the HGTV show Hometown, this unique place is one our family had desired to visit for quite some time.  It is a place where everyone waves, porch swings occupy a special spot on many porches and long walks seem woven into the heartbeats of those who live there.  It is a place where you find peace drinking an extra cup of coffee on the back porch.  It is a quaint community where people want to talk to you a little longer and feel obliged to say, "We're glad you're here," before you part ways.  It is a location where you pause to hear every train whistle and celebrate the familiar smells of spring.  In the Deep South, people know how to "linger."  They know how to approach life at a slower pace and take great delight in the opportunities to do so.

It is my greatest belief that this season of Lent encourages all of us to linger a little longer in the Lord's presence.  Lent offers us the blessed opportunity to rest in His open arms and reflect on where we are in our own spiritual journeys.  This time affords us a chance to examine the spiritual disciplines present in our own lives.  How is my prayer life?  Am I spending adequate time in God's Word?  How am I finding time to worship Him with my whole heart?  Am I seeking moments of solitude to align my soul with His will?  Am I allowing Him to serve as my spiritual compass in the tender moments of everyday life?

Several days ago, I facilitated an amazing discussion about Lent with a group of middle school and high school students before our Ash Wednesday service.  It was one of the greatest discussions about Lent in which I have ever participated.  The joy of these conversations was quite simple.  We paused.  We silenced the worldly noise so evident all around us.  We lingered in the presence of those we love and celebrated the One who loves us.  Praise God for the Lenten season.  May we all simply linger, a little longer, in the arms of Jesus.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts